Sunday, December 5, 2010

Ireland

In Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland in background.
Last week my DTS and I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Ireland. It was a long and tiring journey. While most of the DTS was able to take an hour flight, the seven Americans without passports had to drive about four and a half hours from the south of England to Liverpool. From there, we took an eight hour overnight ferry to the Northern Irish city of Belfast, where we met up with the rest of the group. This sounds simple enough, besides the fact that our first attempted departure at 3:30am Sunday failed to get us as far as 20 minutes away. After a fixed car, lots of prayer, more car trouble, and a ferry ride with both literal and figurative ups and downs, we made it across the Irish Sea early Monday morning. Thus, our 13 hour trip turned into what seemed like a 48 hour day.

Part of the base, An Cuan.
That trip, as well as the rest of the week (due to bad weather and snow), required lots of flexibility, turning to God, and good attitudes. In a way, it was the best possible outreach prep without even planning it. Throughout that whole process, though, I knew (as well as the others) that God was with us and teaching us, no matter how confused, tired, joyful, or grumpy we were. Overall it was a rough, tiring, funny, strenuous, peaceful, relaxing, beautiful, cold, hot, joy filled, and adventurous week, and probably my favorite week since I've been here!

We stayed at a YWAM base in the town of Rostrevor in Northern Ireland. The 5 month old base faces the Republic of Ireland, separated by a lock that leads to the Irish Sea. We arrived with snow on the ground, and snow continued to fall every day while we were there. We were surrounded by pure beauty, much like I am at Holmsted. We had lecture on theology (AWESOME) Monday through Wednesday and attempted field trips on Thursday and Friday. Here's a list of memorable things I did:

Had an epic snow ball fight.
Walked to an Irish pub, drank hot chocolate, and listened to live traditional Irish music.
Attempted to make, then helped supervise the making of a snowman.
Ate homemade bread.
Walked by the lock and on the shore during low tide.
Ate snow.
Spent an hour or two walking in the Republic of Ireland.
Visited Catholic and Anglican St. Patrick's Cathedrals.
Caught massive snowflakes on my tongue.
Sang Christmas songs.
Ate soup, soup, and more soup.
Stood in awe of the glory of God and His beauty.


In Ireland with Northern Ireland in background.




St. Patrick's Catholic Cathedral
Catching snowflakes on my tongue.

God's glory.

Meanwhile, back at Holmsted, it snowed and snowed and snowed. It is now melting, but here are some pictures of my snow-covered home.




View from my window.

Our Christmas tree!!

Lastly, I want to remind you that I leave for India on December 20th. That's three Mondays from now! Please keep me, my team, and the school in your prayers, especially for finances and a location in India. Stay warm (as I'm trying to!) and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment